July 2017 marked the month and year that I turned 30! Three months later I finally finished writing my views on turning 30 and the life lessons it brings. For years I thought that reaching the age of 30 would be THE big deal. I envisioned myself having it all and knowing exactly what my purpose in life would be. Everyone around me was putting so much meaning to this milestone, that it made me set high expectations for myself on what I should have accomplished with my life before I turn 30. The months leading to my 30th birthday I realized that I haven’t yet figured it all out yet and that’s okay. It was time to let go of empty expectations and embrace the changes that come with growing up.
These are the life lessons I learned with turning 30:
- Be yourself: In a world where social media is taking over it’s quite easy to compare yourself with other people. Turns out that this gets boring after a while and not to mention how unhealthy & unrealistic it is. It’s important to stay true to yourself. Be authentic. There’s only one of you, so why try to be the same as someone else. Embrace your individuality, you’re enough.
- Have confidence in yourself: Nothing is more beautiful then having confidence in yourself and knowing your capabilities. At all times, stand behind your decisions and your choices. Don’t let people talk you out of something that you really want and are confident about. Don’t care about what people think of you. Their opinions don’t matter. What is important is that you do you.
- It’s okay to not be okay: It’s totally fine to have an off day or to not be okay. Life comes with ups & downs and this is what makes us stronger. We live and we learn. And if you don’t have the answers to everything, that is also okay. Let life surprise you. Turns out that when it does, you’ll have the most amazing moments.
- Take care of your body: Workout more, drink less alcohol, be conscious about what you eat. Be healthy. Your body and skin will thank you later. Plus you’ll minimize the risk for diseases.
- Happiness is internal: Don’t let external factors have a big influence on your happiness. Happiness is all about the small things and comes from within. If you’re happy with yourself and love yourself, you’ll see how things will workout in life.
- You don’t need to be equal to people around you: Everyone is at a different stage in their lives and have different goals. It doesn’t matter if you’re the same age. What you want out of life might not be the same thing that someone else wants. You don’t need to be equal to them. Everyone defines success differently, it’s up to you what’s important to you.
- Remove toxic people from your life: Not everyone should like you and it’s okay to lose friends along the way. At the same time you can’t please everybody. Focus on pleasing yourself. If someone is only bringing negativity to your life, let them go.
- Value your relationships: Do value everyone that is close to your heart. They matter. Make time to meet them and hang out. Speak to your loved ones on a regular basis and let them know how much they mean to you.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people: Like minded people support you, bring your spirits up and gives you focus. Surround yourself with them and you’ll see how you’re manifesting yourself for greatness.
- Be kind to everyone around you: No matter how they behave towards you, still be kind. You never know what people are going through. Your kindness might be the one thing they need at the moment.
- Live in the moment: Don’t leave things for later. Live in the moment and be present. Become more aware of your surroundings and practice mindfulness. Being aware is equal to being free.
- Change is growth and should always be constant: Don’t be afraid of change. Change is growth and if you’re not changing you’re not growing. It should become a constant factor in your life.
- Dream big and live: There’s nothing that stops you from dreaming big. Your dreams are yours. So dream as big as you want, turn them into goals and work hard to reach them and live them out.
- Finding your passion is important: Find out what you love the most, what you’re passionate about. Live revolves around doing what you love.
- Travel, travel, travel: The experiences you gain while travelling change your perceptions of life. Travel as much and as far as you can. It’s easier than you think and entirely up to you to make it a priority.
Turning 30 will have as much meaning as you want. It will be either a big milestone or just another age to you. That’s entirely up to you.